There are so many brands of GPS navigators in the market, however, some stand out among the rest. If you’re looking for the best handheld GPS, then the Garmin GPSMAP 64st is a product you should consider.
This is a state-of-the-art handheld global positioning system navigator that tracks and locates with superb accuracy.
No worries about getting lost when using this GPS. It is a great partner to bring along on your hiking trips.
Related Roam: Garmin Montana 680t Review
Why We Are Writing This Review
We realize that you need the right handheld GPS device for your hiking trips and travels and this is one of the best in the market.
We are writing this review so you can know more about its features and functions and see if meets your needs.
This product is designed with a Quad Helix antenna and a high sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver. These features allow it to locate your position quickly and accurately, even in thick covers.
It doesn’t matter if you’re deep in the woods, this handheld GPS will help you navigate your way through.
It has a built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass. It also has a barometric altimeter that can track any changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can also use it to plot barometric pressure over time. This will help you monitor any changes in weather conditions.
The Gpsmap 64st has a built-in worldwide base map with shaded relief and preloaded TOPO. It also comes with a 1-year subscription of Birdseye satellite imagery, which gives you a photo-realistic view.
With 250,000 preloaded caches, this product supports paperless geocaching, giving you hints and descriptions from geocaching.com. Paperless geocaching means it is eco-friendly, it also means improved efficiency.
With a battery life of 16 hours, your day’s hiking trip is covered
It stores and displays vital data, which include – location, terrain, difficulty, hints, and descriptions. With this product, you don’t have to manually enter coordinates and paper print outs.
It is slim and light, so carrying it around is easy. It will comfortably sit in your pocket and it won’t take up much space.
It features a basecamp software that allows you to view and organize maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks. You can also create Garmin adventures with the software and share them with friends and family.
Basecamp shows topographic map data in 2-D and in 3-D on your computer screen. It also displays contour lines and elevation profiles.
This device allows you to transfer an infinite amount of satellite images to your device when it’s paired with a Birdseye satellite imagery subscription.
It is designed with a 2.6” inch color screen that is sunlight readable.
The GPSMAP 64st allows you to wirelessly receive emails, texts, and other alerts from your compatible iPhone 4s. It has 8GB of internal memory and a micro SD card slot. This amount of space allows you to conveniently download and store TOPO 24k maps.
It features g2 preloaded cards to navigate the waters and City Navigator NT map data for turn-by-turn routing on roads (you need to check your mail tabs for compatibility)
This product is compatible with Garmin maps. This is a map format that can convert paper and electronic maps into downloadable maps to your device free of charge.
It weighs just 9.3 ounces and its dimensions are 1.4 x 2.4 x 6.3” inches.
Key Features of the Product
Here are its key features –
- It has a dual battery system
- It is sunlight readable
- It has a 2.6” inch color display
- It features an expanded internal memory of 8GB
- 160 x 240 pixels display resolution
- High-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible
- It has smart notification features
- Wireless data upload to Garmin connect which is viewable on smartphones
- Comes with a Quad Helix antenna for excellent reception
- Built-in worldwide base map
- 3-axis compass with barometric altimeter
- 250,000 preloaded caches
- Preloaded TOPO US maps
- One year Birdseye satellite imagery subscription
No product is 100% perfect. Even though there are so many advantages that come with using this device, there are also a few flaws.
Let us take a look at its pros and cons.
Pros & Cons
- It is designed with a high sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver that provides excellent reception, even under deep cover.
- It has a barometric altimeter that monitors changes in pressure. This helps indicate the right altitude and determine changes in weather conditions.
- The maps cover the whole of America, even Alaska, and Hawaii, and as far as Puerto Rico.
- It is usable in almost any kind of terrain.
- You can wirelessly share tracks, waypoints, routes, and geocaches using Bluetooth connectivity.
- It comes with 8GB of internal memory space. It even has a micro SD card slot. You can easily download TOPO 24K maps.
- It is not suitable for long, 4-5 day hikes. The 16-hour battery lifespan isn’t built for that.
The Garmin GPSMAP 64st is an excellent GPS navigator to take along on your short day trips. Hikers would love its well detailed built-in maps. You would also love its Quad Helix antenna, as it provides excellent reception.
Its Bluetooth function is also going to be a user favorite, as it allows you to share hiking information with other devices. Just be sure your devices are Garmin compatible.
We know how hikers complain about storage space. Well, the 8GB internal memory of this product should meet your storage needs. The micro SD card slot is also available if you need more space.
Overall, this is a world-class product and it is an excellent buy. If it meets all your hiking and outdoor needs, then we recommend you buy it.